The role CHCSA currently plays is consistent with the key roles of a leadership peak, and includes:
- Sector Leadership and Partnership creation.
- Research, policy development, advice to government and their sector.
- Advocacy and representation to government and other decision makers.
- Information dissemination within the sector and to the community.
- Sector consultation and coordination within their sector.
- Sector capacity building to enable better service delivery and functioning of community organisations.