Would you like to participate in CHCSA's quick website survey? Yes No thanks

08 7077 2803

Community Housing Providers

Community Housing Providers are not-for-profit organisations providing housing for people with special housing needs.  They are generally managed by paid staff.

Many tenants require extensive support services to maintain independent housing.  These are provided by partner government and community service agencies.  Each Provider manages its own tenant selection processes.

Some Providers will only accept referrals from the support agencies they work with.

All registered Community Housing Providers are legally incorporated under the Associations Incorporation Act 1985 and the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth).

These registered Community Housing Providers are delivering social and affordable housing in conjunction with Housing SA and Renewal SA.

As the peak industry body for housing providers in South Australia, the CHCSA has 3 tiers of member providers we support and advocate on behalf of.  Contact details can be found on the South Australian Government Website, and in addition to that we have some additional information available on the link below.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Tenants may be people on low incomes, from non-English speaking backgrounds, with physical or intellectual disabilities, women and children rebuilding their lives after escaping domestic violence, young people making a start on their own, single parents, or the aged and frail.  Housing Providers can support any group of individuals who need housing that is secure, appropriate, affordable and accessible.

Providers decide whom to house based on need but, often house people through referrals from other agencies.  It may be possible for you or someone you are assisting, to be referred from another support agency or to contact the Community Housing Council of SA (CHCSA) or Housing SA to obtain a list of Housing Providers and their contact details.

Housing Providers offer secure and stable accommodation, affordable rent, suitable housing and increased dignity and independence.
They provide links with other support organisations to meet the specific needs of tenants.  Being involved with a Community Housing Provider is a valuable experience with real long-term outcomes for everyone involved.

Housing Providers receive financial and other support from a variety of sources as well as from Housing SA, Renewal SA.
These include Local Government authorities (councils), other community organisations such as Churches and service groups and many individuals.  Many Housing Providers have entered into joint ventures with other organisations such as local councils to build a ‘community’ to provide housing for their specific client group.

At present, most of the housing offered, through Renewal SA, to new and existing Housing Providers comes from former Housing SA (previously known as the South Australian Housing Trust or SAHT) stock in the Provider’s chosen location.  Currently, funds for purchasing and building houses are very limited.  Houses are frequently designed or modified to meet the special housing needs of some tenants.  They adhere to regulatory standards as determined by Renewal SA.

If this kind of involvement in housing interests you then find out more by contacting either CHCSA or Housing SA.

What are my rights and responsibilities as a tenant of a Community Housing Provider?

As a tenant of a Community Housing Provider you have both rights and responsibilities.  Everyone is entitled to live quietly and respectfully in their home regardless of where they live and whether they rent or own a property.

Equally tenants have certain responsibilities that are conditions of their tenancy, documented in a lease agreement, which include:

  • paying rent to their Community Housing Provider
  • keeping the property clean and free from damage
  • letting other neighbours and residents live in peace, comfort and privacy
  • any other conditions set by the Community Housing Provider.

If you have problems meeting the conditions of your lease agreement you should contact your Community Housing Provider as soon as possible.

How do Community Housing Providers deal with complaints?

All Community Housing Providers have their own complaints process and you should contact your community housing provider in the first instance.  If an informal discussion doesn’t resolve the issue, you can make a formal complaint to your community housing provider.

What if I am unhappy with a decision made by my Community Housing Provider?

As a tenant you have the right to appeal a decision made by your Community Housing Provider that directly affects you.  Your community housing provider will provide information to you about your appeal rights. It is worth noting that not every decision of a community housing provider can be appealed.

Before lodging an appeal, it is recommended that you contact an organisation that can assist in resolving disputes such as the Tenant Information and Advocacy Service (TIAS).  TIAS is a service that assists tenants – you can contact them to seek their advice and support if you are not happy with a decision your community housing provider has made.  Following this, you can also contact the Welfare Rights Centre/Housing Legal Clinic who can provide further advice to tenants on how to pursue a matter and what rights may apply.

There are two levels of appeal:

  1. An internal appeal of the decision by the community housing provider
  2. An external appeal to the South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT).

If you are appealing a decision made by your community housing provider, you must lodge your appeal within the required timeframe set by your community housing provider.  If you are unhappy with the outcome of that appeal, you can lodge a further appeal with the South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT) within 30 days of receiving notification of the decision.

You can find out more about tenant complaints and appeals in community housing from this CHCSA factsheet and the South Australian Housing Authority website

Community Housing Provider Listing

Housing Provider contact details can be obtained via the following link to the South Australian Government Website.

Click on the “View the List of Providers” button below. This will then open a list of Housing Providers that you can look at online.

Please refer back to this listing on a regular basis as this list is updated regularly.

Registering your interest

Registering your interest with a Community Housing Provider can be done in one of two ways.  You can contact Housing SA on 131 299 to register for both Public and Community Housing on one form or if you only wish to register for community housing you can contact a Provider directly.  You will only need to complete one form on which you can list all Providers in which you are interested.  A list of Providers can be found here